The 2018 Frosted Fatty at Spirit Mountain in Duluth, MN is coming up! Fat tire bikes take over the ski hill for the third year in a row for a full weekend of gravity fueled fun. January 20th starts a day of racing. The XC bike race starts at 9am and along the cross country ski trails. Competitors get to choose a short, 9 mile course, or a long 17 mile course with 2000′ of elevation gain.
The riders will move to the ski slopes in the afternoon for a timed downhill on the ski runs of the mountain.
The evening brings in skiers and boarders to race the fat tire bikes side by side dual slalom course for a winner takes all finale with a $500 cash prize.
There will be prizes awarded throughout the day. All ages are welcome, please pre-register with Spirit Mountain before the event if you want to race. There’s plenty of room for spectators at the start and finish lines and some space along the course as well.
There’s nothing like this around! Come on out to witness the speed, spills, and chills of downhill fat bike racing in Minnesota.
Registration details and the fine print:
Cross Country Race – 9am race start
Registration & Check In opens @ 7:30am at the start/finish area
◦ The Long course will cover 17 miles with 2000′ of elevation gain
◦ Short Course will be 9 miles
◦ Start and Finish will be located in the overflow lot across from the main Spirit Mountain entrance
Down Hill Race – 1pm race start
Registration & Check In opens @ 10:00am in the Moosehead
◦ 2 stages will be raced that will challenge the experts but remain accessible for intermediate riders
◦ The trails used are conditions dependent, we will look to use Calculated Risk and Juggler Joe
Dual Slalom – 4pm Biker v. Skier v. Boarder start
1pm – Skier and Boarder brackets begin
Registration begins @ 10:00am in the Moosehead
◦ Head to Head Slalom Race – time to be determined but planning around 6pm under the lights! Winner takes all, $500 CASH! We are pairing up skiers, snowboarders and bikers for a winner takes all event!
◦ Skiers and snowboarders will begin racing at 1pm.
◦Bracketed format will narrow the field of skiers and snowboarders to compete in the all discipline head to head race at 4pm
◦ Winners of all disciplines will be named and will receive a prize
Silent Auction – 1pm – 7pm Fundraiser supporting the All Weather Trail
◦ Place your bid on many quality items and packages
◦ Wide variety from biking products to skiing and boarding products to weekend packages and more
◦ Silent Auction will be from 1p to 7pm
◦ All items must be picked up and paid for night of
Loose in the Moose After Party
◦ Live music and Good Times! – Moosehead Saloon in Main Chalet.
Sunday – January 21, 2018
• Fat Bike Demos available beginning at 10am provided by Continental Ski & Bike
• Spirit Mountain Fat Bike Sunday – join us for our Down Hill, Lift Served Fat Biking. Utilizing our mountain bike trails as well as a couple of our ski slopes as well. Discounted ticket available for Sunday for all participants of $25
• Fat Bike Sunday is open to the public as normal
• Frost River shop tours – 10am – 6pm – Stop by and see firsthand the home of quality craftsmanship – 1910 W. Superior St Duluth, MN 55806
Deadline January 18, 2018 – add $10 per race after pre-registration deadline
• Cross Country Race Only = $39
• Down Hill Race Only = $39
• Dual Slalom = $10 for any participant in any race
• All Races = $75