Have you seen all the bags now available from Frost River in Heritage Black? We keep rolling out new designs, and wanted to take a moment to highlight some of our favorites. The black waxed canvas is sourced from our trusted supplier Fairfield Textiles in New Jersey. The seventh generation of the Martin Family supplies us with the Field Tan canvas that we’ve been using for years, so getting black from them as well was a no brainer. Same with the leather for our Heritage Black collection. The S.B. Foot Tannery in Red Wing, Minnesota has been getting us the good stuff for years, so we sourced the same grades, and styles from them in black. We feel privileged and proud to be working with companies of such good reputations for longevity and pride of manufacturing in the USA. All our Heritage Black bags are made here at our shop in Duluth, Minnesota right next to their Field Tan brethren.
Scroll down, check out the featured items in the collection and pick out something you like!
- A hard working rucksack with features aimed to please. The pack body offers good capacity in its round shape. There’s easily room for a day’s worth of rambling gear. Internal volume is in the range of 32 liters. Dual 2-in-1 side pockets will each house a 1L bottle, while the slip pockets offer storage for long, lean items like a folding saw, big knife, or whatever else you wanted to stow back there. The medium size front pocket is secured with a zipper and offers ready access to often used items like a pair of mits or a notebook and sunglasses. Our Northern Pacific Buckskin mitts fill the pocket well. There’s additional zippered storage space under the top lid. Lash squares on top offer even more spots and ways to attach gear to the pack. Have you noticed we added additional Leather Accessory Straps to go with our lash squares? They work very well together.
Curtis Flight Bag in Heritage Black - All the rugged simplicity of our classic Flight Bag along with convenient side pockets cut from Heritage Black waxed canvas. Handcrafted, soft sided luggage rules the overhead bins of carry on airline travel and the the cramped quarters of vehicle trunks and cargo areas, because it’s crammable! Just that little extra wiggle room puts a waxed canvas and leather reinforced bag head and shoulders above their hard-sided brethren. Invest in a good bag for your getaways, travel well with luggage you’ll look forward to carrying. You and your next generation will thank you for it.
High Falls -Short Day Pack in Heritage Black - A small pack for big things… Our High Falls Pack is streamlined and rides out of the way. Yet it still offers decent capacity, good backstraps, options to hang stuff on and in the bag via loops stitched in, daisy chain style. Inside, there’s a full length slip pocket, perfect for a water bladder, tablet, or slim laptop. Now in Heritage Black, it’ll blend in, yet stand out wherever you choose to roam.
Premium Carrier Brief in Heritage Black - Our top of the line messenger bag has it all! There’s a padded sleeve inside along with the pockets and compartments to keep a professional organized and movin’ forward. The long, wide shoulder strap has a leather pad to spread out a heavy load and offer a bit of grip for a shoulder. Black leather accents and dark waxed canvas give this rugged and reliable work bag just the right amount of hard working attitude.
Sojourn Pack in Heritage Black - Classical canoe pack pattern shrunk down to daypack size, the Sojourn is a ready and willing companion on forays on and off the beaten path. It’s a box style pack, with side gussets for more capacity. This pack is just right to tote a day’s worth of gear no matter if woods wandering or heading off to work. Heritage Black waxed canvas and premium leather will dress up any ensemble. Be set for success, traveling as a timeless wanderer with this pack built to withstand the ages.
- A satchel fit for the field in our standard Field Tan or dressed up a bit in Heritage Black. Pockets, dividers, and compartments abound in and on a Field Satchel. It’ll work great as a haversack in the woods, or as a purse ‘round town. Either way you’ll be carrying well with a trusty shoulder bag built right here in Duluth, Minnesota.
- Named after the biggest, deepest lake in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness of Minnesota, here’s a shoulder bag that's built to last and designed to perform. It’s a simple bag that keeps cost down yet exceeds expectation with unmatched quality. The long front flap is held closed with button magnets. Inside the bag you’ll find dividers and compartments to stash your stuff and stay organized. Heritage Black waxed canvas offers understated style and durability to spare.
- Handy for carrying all sorts of things, Frost River Accessory Bags hold more than expected with a wide-bottomed design. Great to get a handle on your charger cords in a briefcase, keep your tinder and fire kit together for a bushcraft outing, or shaving supplies and/or make-up in a travel bag. With the addition of Heritage Black you can color code your essential accessories. Slick!
- Just a bit bigger than a purse, our Boardwalk is great for toting a bit more along on your daily rounds. Adjustable black leather handles, antiqued solid brass hardware, and black waxed canvas set the Heritage Black collection apart. Exterior side pockets provide convenient spots to stash items and keep them handy. Carry well with an American made tote!
Isle Royale - Our top of the line pack, now in Heritage Black. All the premium features remain, including the axe sleeve, twin flap covered pockets, black buckskin padded backstraps that are comfortable and distinctive, along with plenty of lash points all combine to provide options for your bushcraft kit (or whatever you choose to carry in there). All the materials and construction are the same whether your Isle Royale is crafted in black or field tan.
Shell Bags - Purse, haversack, possibles pouch, Shell Bag… whatever you wanna call it or however you want to use it is up to you, just know that we now make ‘em in Heritage Black or Field Tan to help you carry what needs bringing along. The leather strap with a pad breaks in and feels great on a shoulder, plus it’s adjustable for length. Four sizes available to carry a lot or just a little. Male or Female, young or old - anyone can appreciate a trusty shoulder bag ready to accompany you on your outings.